APME Best Documentary or Series submission - After Jackson: Cleveland's Next Mayor
Last year, Cleveland Mayor Frank Jackson announced he would not seek a fifth term in office. That decision set off a 7-way race to replace him, the city’s biggest mayoral contest in 16 years.
The election drew well-known political figures like former presidential candidate and U.S. Rep. Dennis Kucinich. It also attracted newcomers like 34-year-old Justin Bibb, who would go on to win.
Ideastream Public Media’s 18-episode podcast, “After Jackson: Cleveland’s Next Mayor,” chronicled the race week by week. The podcast quickly became an indispensable source of reporting on the mayor’s race, offering the most in-depth coverage on the contest in the Cleveland media market.
Episodes also aired on 90.3 WCPN on Ideastream's public affairs show, "The Sound of Ideas."
Included in this submission are excerpts from several episodes:
- Episode 1, an introduction to the seven candidates
- Episode 2, an interview and profile of Dennis Kucinich
- Episode 6, which featured voices of Cleveland voters and kids
- Episode 7, a deep dive on real restate development in Cleveland
- Episode 8, in-depth reporting on the candidates’ financial backers
- Episode 9, the candidates hit the streets for one last event before the primary
- Episode 13, the two general election candidates meet for a debate
- Episode 17, Justin Bibb celebrates his victory
- Episode 18, an interview with Bibb on the transition
Listen to the full series here: ideastream.org/afterjackson